No, I’m not worried about the latest sushi scare, and I have no intention to stop eating it.
In case you missed it, the latest news to strike a raw nerve regarding raw fish involves anisakiasis, which is an illness caused by eating raw seafood contaminated with a parasite, a type of nematode, though I’m pretty sure it’s a different type than the one that is destroying my vegetable garden. Still, it’s essentially a worm.
What happens is that when someone eats a piece of fish with the parasite in it — you’re not eating right now, are you? You may want to unhand that hand roll for a few minutes. Anyway, what happens is that after you swallow it, the parasite can attach itself to your esophagus, stomach lining or anywhere in the vast theme-park-like slide that is your intestines.
The good news is that it can’t survive in that harsh environment known as your digestive tract for more than 10 days, tops. I don’t mean yours personally. It’s pretty much the same for everybody. The bad news is that 10 days can be pretty unpleasant — pain, vomiting, nausea.