A smorgasbord of bits and tids about Central Florida restaurants.
- The lineup of restaurants for this year’s Taste! Central Florida (formerly known as Taste of the Nation — Share Our Strength) is complete and it’s a good one. There are 41 restaurants signed up to offer you samples of their best at the event, which is Saturday, Sept. 8, from 6:45 to 10 p.m. Among those who will be serving at the walkabout affair are The Whiskey, Big Fin Seafood Kitchen, Highball & Harvest, Whisper Creek Kitchen, Tapa Toro and Taverna Opa. Tickets are $175 and 100 percent of the profits stay in our community to fight childhood hunger through Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida and Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida. As always, Taste! Central Florida will be at Orlando World Center Marriott. Do the clicky thing here to see the full list and to get your tickets.
- Christner’s Prime Steak & Lobster had a special dinner on June 14 in celebration of its 25th anniversary. The family-owned restaurant raised $18,000 for Aspire Health Partners, which provides prevention, intervention and treatment to individuals and families coping with substance use and mental health disorders, juvenile delinquency, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis and other behavioral health issues.
- 4 Rivers Smokehouse is selling a special cupcake at all of its Sweet Shops with a portion of the proceeds going to the Florida Hospital Diabetes Institute. The Red Vel-fit cupcake features less sugar and fat and fewer calories and carbs than a regular red velvet cupcake. The special cupcake is available only through July, then it’s back to the unhealthful dessert.
- Terralina Crafted Italian has opened at Disney Springs, still Italian, still operated by Levy Restaurants. This is the remade space that was previously Portobello and Portobello Yacht Club before that (when it was part of Pleasure Island and its backstory had to do with Merriweather Pleasure, or something like that; I haven’t heard yet what its made-up story to fit in with Disney is supposed to be).
- Speaking of the Springs, https://tastecfl.org, the fun “former power plant” (wink), has launched a Burger of the Month program. This month, it’s the Red, White and BBQ Burger in celebration of the Fourth of July, which I missed entirely because I’ve been in Europe since June 23. This month’s burger has a patty fashioned out of short rib and brisket garnished with house-made pulled pork, fried onions, and coleslaw. I’m curious to see what the August burger will be. However, since August is known for its dog days, I’m also a bit apprehensive.