- April 14 presents a tough choice for foodies, or at least for foodies with means. That's the date for Chef's Gala, Beard in Baldwin and Cattle Baron's Ball. Chef's Gala, at Epcot, benefits Heart of Florida United Way; Beard in Baldwin (as in Baldwin Park) raises funds for the James Beard Foundation's National Scholars Program; and Cattle Baron's Ball, at Rosen Shingle Creek, benefits the American Cancer Society. You could, I suppose, support all three -- it would set you back $685 ($325, $110, and $250 respectively). Plus of course the Uber or taxi to take you from Baldwin Park to Epcot with a stop off at Shingle Creek.
It's up to you. But seriously, event planners: don't you consult an event calendar before choosing your dates?
- Brooklyn Coffee Shop, which replaced Restaurant Ash, which replaced Funky Monkey Cafe, will become Bites & Bubbles. Original Funky Monkey owners will redo the place and offer Champagne and caviar, among other things.
- Sushi Pop, the pop-ular Oviedo restaurant, will bring some of its funkiness to Winter Park and the former Boi Brazil churrascaria space just off Park Avenue.
- Kai, another Asian street fooder, has opened at 1555 Semoran Blvd. in Winter Park. Is anyone else ready for the food to come in from the streets now?
- 33 & Melt, which is not affilliated with 23 & Me, will open a second location, in Avalon Park, sometime in May. The melt part has to do with grilled cheese sandwiches. The 33? You've got me.
- Brewmasters Invitational is Saturday, April 7, in Cruise Terminal #1 at Port Canaveral. It's the fourth annual. Info here.
- Also Saturday, Habit Burger Grills are donating 50 percent of sales to Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. Find your Habit here.
- On Sunday, the Taste at (not of) I-drive 360 takes place under the Coca Cola Eye. Ticket sales benefit Esophageal Cancer at Florida Hospital. Hours, tickets and other info here.
- And very sorry to learn that El Bodegon, the charming little tapas joint on Orlando Avenue in Winter Park (just across the breezeway from Rocco's Italian Grille), has closed.