Pucker up, it’s Valentine’s Month. For the divas, February is a month for romance – not just one day, but all 28.
And while we shared a hot chocolate with tequila for Valentine’s Day, this sweet ending hits the other end of the dessert spectrum with tart Florida lemons to wow your love’s taste buds (and cause a little pucker).
This recipe comes from “Field to Feast, Recipes Celebrating Florida’s Farmers, Chefs, and Artisans,” shared by Central Florida farmer Dale Volkert from Lake Meadow Naturals. His farm-fresh eggs are the base for this simple lemon curd. You can add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste, but we like the tang. Use any leftover lemon curd the next day on your morning toast.
Simple Lemon Curd
Serves 4 to 6
- 5 cage-free egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 Florida lemons, zested and juiced (you should have about 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 stick butter, cut in pieces and chilled
- Freshly whipped cream, for serving
- Seasonal fresh berries, for serving
- Fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water and place over medium-high heat.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a heat-proof bowl that’s slightly bigger than the saucepan. Place bowl atop saucepan. Whisk yolks 1 minute, then add lemon zest and juice. Whisk 6 to 8 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, and add butter 1 piece at a time, stirring until fully melted before adding the next piece. Cool.
- Serve lemon curd topped with whipped cream and fresh berries.